Monday, June 8, 2009

LA Lessons #4: Using Show Program to Place Agent Wanted Ad

I haven't seen a lot of theatre in LA yet (and yes, there's theatre) so it doesn't seem fair to make a blanket statement. Of what I've seen, I noticed many actors use their bios in show programs to advertise: a) their agent's information and b) they don't have an agent and would really like one. I know all actors would rather be getting paid to be on the set of Two and a Half Men (that shit is never going off the air), than rolling around naked in Crisco for free in an experimental production of Our Town, on that weird stretch of Santa Monica Boulevard after the Sears that seems stuck in 1957 and West Hollywood. We, as the paying audience though, need to believe that you want to be there for us; and you're not putting yourself on display only to get plucked and propelled to stardom by one of the hundred casting directors and agents you anonymously sent postcards to, and will totally spend their Saturday night watching you. I don't think New York actors use their bios to advertise their representation status. I could be wrong, I strayed from theatre to pursue the red-headed stepchild of show business, stand-up. Maybe actors in New York prioritize pride over networking. Maybe that's why I'm in classes with 22 year-olds that already have their SAG cards...and Charlie Sheen's number.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAH - Instead of being an experimental "Our Town" I was in an all white version of "The Wiz" in High School!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @hollenwho - I think by Pennsylvania standards you're considered black.

    ReplyDelete

Followers