Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Welcome to LA, Conan!

Back in February I wrote about Conan's last Late Night and John Mayer's advice to him about LA. By the way, Alex and I saw John Mayer being followed by paparazzi in Venice. I almost got plowed over by one. It was weird and kind of disconcerting. I kind of get why celebs can get addicted to the whirlwond of attention and then go all Bjork on the photographers. ANYWAY, I loved Conan's show opening. There were times that I wanted to do the same 3,000 mile run, but in the other direction back to NYC. Conan's last Late Night in NYC and his first Tonight Show in LA are symbolic bookend moments for me. On February 21 I was sitting in a sublet by myself. I think I spent that night at home watching old lady CBS programming on a very uncomfortable couch that wasn't mine. I hadn't seen my husband in three weeks. I spent the day staring at people at the Coffee Bean who were on the phone, on their way to fabulous industry jobs, typing away on laptops or having meetings. I was jealous of their "on the go" pace and wish I had something else going on other than the book I was reading at 10 am. Last night on June 1, I came back from an empowering class that makes me excited about auditioning, to a husband and a home that's ours, and watched Conan's first Tonight Show on my very comfortable couch that's seen a lot of parties and lot of friends. It took nearly four months and change for my head and heart to run 3,000 miles across country and catch up with me here in LA. Now I'm finding my own pace.

2 comments:

Followers