Monday, August 31, 2009

Camera Phone Files #7: Station Fire

A hill overlooking Tujunga.
Smoke behind downtown.
My crap camera phone pics while we were driving on the 5 going to Burbank and Glendale this past Friday and Saturday nights.
Here are some pictures of the Station fire currently burning northeast of LA. I believe it's called the Station fire because it threatened the Angeles Crest Ranger Station. Apparently the fire tripled in size the night these pictures were taken and it's now burning 122,000 acres. The fire started in the Angeles National Forest and covers Tujunga, Mt. Wilson, Glendale, La Crescenta, Acton, and La Canada areas. Here's a link of an interactive map, http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-la-fire-map-html,0,7464337.htmlstory. If you want to see real photographs, here's a link to LA Times' photo gallery: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-0826-morris-fire-pictures,0,2039975.photogallery. There are moments when we can smell the smoke in Echo Park. Not that this is cause for celebration, but I did want to mark our first California fire experience. In NY, we'd always see news coverage of the California fires on the local news. I never got a grasp on the geography of the fires. Is the Capital Records building burning? Did someone flick a butt while getting off the Golden Gate Bridge? Is all the wine okay?

2 comments:

  1. i joke about "fire season" in los angeles, but this is the first time i'm actually genuinely concerned. a friend of mine has a house in tujunga, my brother lives in la cresenta, and my aunt, uncle and cousins live in la canada (on burning tree drive, no joke). my aunt et al have already evacuated and it is very likely my friend will have to evacuate soon as parts of his neighborhood got notice last night. my brother lives a bit further down the hill so i'm hoping the fires will be contained and/or that it will rain soon. crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is a little cooler and a little more humid. There was a marine layer this morning. I read that firefighter's are hopeful they'll get it under control today.

    ReplyDelete

Followers