Saturday, September 5, 2009

To-Do List Item #1: Find my leisure lifestyle

Happy Labor Day weekend! In NY, Labor Day weekend meant an official end of summer and it would bring back that "pit of your stomach" dread I would feel before the school year begins. We would try to fit as much summer-y shit as possible in three days: the beach, BBQs, finding a piece of grass. After Labor Day weekend, it was time to get back to work. When September comes around you no longer could blame the summer for a stalled career. In LA, summer really doesn't have a definite end. It's always at least 70 degrees for most of the year and the ocean is freezing cold all the time, so you can always wear flip flops but really never care about swimming. There's no discernible "play time" and "work time" during the calendar year. In my April 28 post I announced that I will now aspire to have a "lifestyle": garden planting, wine club joining, buying a glue stick and scrapbooking something. I was in LA for just three months and didn't have much going on. I didn't have a job, a heavy audition schedule, or a lot of friends. Now four months later...well, I have more friends As time passes, my knitting and "having political opinions about food" goals are getting pushed aside for a growing to-do list of career-tivities. I'm trying to find that balance of "living in LA" and "getting something done so I have a reason to live in LA." The "living in LA" part is really what this blog is about. Aside from a few parties, I'm spending a chunk of my time this weekend doing more laboring more than playing. Maybe I'm preparing for the imaginary school year in my head. Now where's my kitten Trapper Keeper?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers