Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Brief Guide to LA #1

Okay, so I have knack for coming off more negative than intended. There's a lot of great places we've been enjoying. Every weeks that passes, I'm freaking out less and having more fun. I'd like to introduce Part One of "Laura's Very Brief and Limited Guide to LA." I'll continue to add to it as the months go by. I would love to hear about your faves!
Favorite Restaurants
  • Duke's. It's right off the PCH in Malibu. Wrap around windows facing the ocean. It's amazing. Mel Gibson got shitfaced at Moonshadows down the street before his infamous ant-Semitic tirade. OMG, the Pepperdine boys that valet your car...
  • Masa. It's a bakery and restaurant in Echo Park. I think they're from Chicago. So the food is super carb-y and the portions are huge and the staff is great. OMG, the bread...
  • Yang Chow. Chinese in Chinatown. Great Slippery Shrimp, cheap bottles of Sauvignon Blanc. OMG, Betty White autographed headshot on the wall.
Favorite Splurges
  • Beverly Hills Hotel Polo Lounge. I went there with Katina, Sara and Baron. I had $832 glass of wine. I felt like I was there to meet Dominick Dunne and laugh about good ole' days when Liz and Richard would smash bottles of Scotch over each others' heads and laugh and laugh and laugh. And the waiters are very pleasant even though you're wearing Old Navy rubber flip flops. OMG, the hotel lobby...
  • Tower Bar at Sunset Tower Hotel. I went there with Katie in December to stalk Jennifer Aniston and John Mayer. They weren't there and now that I think about, I think the host thought we were a couple. I'm psyched for birthday dinner there. The art deco decor is reminiscent of 50's and 60's LA. The views of LA are amazing. OMG, the oysters..
Favorite Bars
  • El Prado. Right across from Masa in Echo Park. I guess it qualifies as New York-y because there's a brick wall. It's super cozy, low key, great wood bar and dim lighting. The bartenders play LPs. Their beer menu is all microbrews or craft beers and is new every week. Great wine list also. OMG, there's olives...
  • City Sip. Also in Echo Park. Great wine bar that teaches classes. You can order a flight of wines. The menu is great. OMG, the chorizo platter...
  • The Must Bar is another great wine bar that's downtown. OMG, roasted brussel sprouts with applewood bacon...
  • Red Lion Tavern. Ancient, ancient old man German bar in Silver Lake. The carpet smells like mildew. We talked with a great, fun couple about how we're basically in the Regal Beagle from Three's Company. OMG, the potato pancakes are the size of chargers.
  • The Drawing Room. In Los Feliz. It's as pretty close to a Williamsburg bar as you're gonna get. Red vinyl, cheap Pabst, NYU grads. It's fun when you're with a crowd and it's one of your last stops. OMG...We saw Chris Burke, the actor that played Corky on Life Goes On drinking vodka cranberries there.
Favorite Walking Areas
  • Franklin Village. Tiny little area of Franklin Ave sort of in between Los Feliz and Hollywood. UCB, cute bars and restaurants, bookstores, great houses!
On The To-Do List
  • The Varnish. Speakeasy style bar that just opened downtown. You enter from the back of a deli, Cole's. I know everyone hates on downtown and it's easy to do, but I kinda like it. I go to the 24 Hour Fitness on Flower Street with the other temps and receptionists trying to get through the summer in their Old Navy tankinis. It's just great to walk around surrounded by tall buildings. Downtown LA kind of feels like Chicago to me.
  • Tiki Ti. Hole in the wall cocktail joint in Silver Lake first recommended to me by frequent LA business trip-er friend, Jim. OMG, click on the link. Yes, that's the Magnum PI theme. I'm ashamed we haven't been here yet. Alright, we now have Memorial Day plans.

1 comment:

  1. i was gonna say the drawing room, but i see you have already found it! a lot of my old friends go there on a regular basis. my brother loves the red lion tavern. a friend of mine plays jazz at the huntington library from time to time. i'm glad you're enjoying my hometown!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers