Wednesday, May 20, 2009

LA Field Trips #6: Dodger Stadium


Alex and I saw the Dodgers play the Mets last night. The Mets lost. After Ryan Church couldn't find a base the night before, I was a bad fair -weather fan and didn't wear any Mets insignia. It was partly out of fear of getting cut since everyone west of Hollywood talks about what an awful, scary neighborhood Dodger Stadium is in. Guess what, that was fifty years ago. LA used eminent domain to destroy an immigrant neighborhood and buy back property meant for public housing so white people can have a baseball team. I think the residents of Elysian Park and Chavez Ravine were allowed to be in a bad mood. Alex and I also walked our Caucasian asses to and from Dodger Stadium and our home, and I'm still alive to blog about it. I mostly feared that some juvenile chant would be directed at my attention from Dodger fans. I'm used to going to Yankee Stadium with Mets and Sox fans so I'm scarred by Yankee fan douchebag-ery. Joe Torre came on screen a few times to remind fans to not be assholes and the Dodger Organization announced a number to text if anyone is "hindering your experience of enjoying the game." Like LA, Dodger Stadium has as much character as a modest split level ranch in San Dimas and the energy was comfortably antiseptic. Shea was gross but you loved it because it was gross. When you walked out of the subway and you saw the imposing size of Shea and you knew were going to an Event. Dodger Stadium is something you stumble upon when you finally make your way through the parking lot. I'm sure growing up in LA, Dodger Stadium plays a big part in your childhood memories and you can tell the fans really loved this team. I'm not hating. I look forward to going back and getting those garlic fries. Though Brookyln would like its team back.

4 comments:

  1. you new yorkers and your talk of "character" and "history"

    i wouldn't mind if my beloved dodgers came back to brooklyn, but unfortunately there is no ebbets field to come home to. yankee & shea stadiums are also gone. i hear they're shiny and pretty and all that junk. from the pictures it reminds me of a prettier, grander version of the target center at atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoah... L.A. has as much character as a modest split level? Damn. Start looking around and do some research, spend some time giving the place a chance to surprise you- it will. There is wildness and beauty, and strangeness, layer upon layer upon layer of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @meems - I'm looking forward to developing some Dodger love. I'd like to see the series with the Angels. I'm sure the new stadiums in NY are over the top "comfortably antiseptic."

    ReplyDelete

Followers