Friday, May 29, 2009

California Field Trips #2 & Camera Phone Files #6: Best Tribute Band in Santa Barbara

Last weekend we went to Santa Barbara. I didn't take a lot of pictures. Imagine a Nordstrom in a Spanish Revival building, that's State Street in Santa Barbara. I absolutely love Santa Barbara and I'll do anything to live next to Oprah. We just didn't have the chance to stray from the beaten path of mall stores and restaurants. We did see a saw a flyer in front of a music venue, Velvet Jones (sounds like a hand job technique) for a tribute band, Petty Cash. They cover Tom Petty and Johnny Cash. I Google-imaged "Petty Cash Tribute Band" and all I found was got a promotion from a local radio station contest called "Petty Cash." I imagine you can win $50 when you call in during a Tom Petty song. I don't know if the metal box and the pissy executive assistant in a bad pantsuit comes with the $50. I did find Petty Cash's profile on GigMasters. The band is dressed entirely in black. A tribute band takes their dedication a step further than a cover band by dressing up as the band members and taking on their personas. I guess they thought it best to commit to Cash's wardrobe only. You don't want to dilute your branding with too many visual choices. I imagine they learned their lesson while working on tribute band circuit and watching other bands stretch themselves too thin. Too bad, Bell Biv Devo-te, a tribute band to Bell Biv Devoe and Contemporary Christian artist, Michael W. Smith had promise.

2 comments:

Followers