Wednesday, February 18, 2009

LA Field Trips #1: I've got..that Los Feeeliz-in'!

So here's my neighborhood. These pics from the two main streets in Los Feliz, Hillhurst and Vermont Aves. Most of my anecdotes are food and booze related. Of course.
Here's a little Swingers tour: Brown Derby and The Dresden.
This is where a Lychee martini did me in on Valentine's Day.
Skylight Books. I'm now part of their Lady Book Club for Ladies. First meeting is coming up!
Brunch at Fred 62 with Elyse marked my first celeb sighting, Andy from Weeds.
Yuca's. Mimi's favorite taco stand on Hillhurst. It's weird that they don't have chicken though.
A bad picture. I got faced on Rose with my friend Allison at Vinoteca Wine Bar on Valentine's Day. Now you can see why the Lychee martini was my downfall.
I went here with Mimi. The crab and shrimp enchilada was a good idea at the time but maybe catalyzed my oatmeal vomit moment in Echo Park the next day. Maybe they import water from Mexico City to be authentic.
This is where I waste my money and catch up on my Lady Book Club for Ladies reading assignment. I was also interviewed here by a local news station about Google's new GPS application.
Local News Lady: So what do you think of this new application by Google that allows you and friends to locate each other on your cell phones?
Me: Well, it could be really helpful since I'm new to LA. It could also be really helpful if I had any friends.
Camera Guy (after interview): Where are you from?
Me: I moved from Brooklyn.
Camera Guy: Oh. My daughter just moved to Brooklyn. Right near The McCarren Park. Do you know it?
Me: Did she take my apartment? Can she check in on Alex? Camera Guy: What? Local News Lady: Oh my gosh, I was born in Brooklyn!
Which further proves my theory that there are, at best, a dozen people who are actually from LA.
I have yet to go here but it sounds delicious. If it was called "House of Ruffles and Gin," I'd be a shift manager by now.
I've been living at this movie theater. Cause you feel less lonely when you're wondering why Kate Winslet won't just admit she's illiterate. I'm mean she's already a Nazi that watched 300 people burn to death and committed statutory rape. She's already pretty low on the social shame scale. Oh, sorry - spoiler alert.
Oh and He's Just Not That Into You: I wanted to like it. I liked it more at the end. For most of the movie I was watching a group of selfish idiots who happen to always be in front of amazing exposed brick. Is there really that much exposed brick in the Baltimore real estate market? I don't remember that from The Wire.
Here's the neighborhood expensive salad place, The Alcove.
The Griffith Observatory. Where the character, Plato dies in A Rebel Without A Cause and Paula Abdul's career dies in her Hush, Hush video.
I've been to Figaro about 731 times in the last two weeks. It's my new Juliette. The food or service isn't amazing and overpriced but it's nice to feel like you're in fake France.
Me (holding my Lady Book Club for Ladies book after seeing The Reader. See thoughts above): Hi. Dinner for one please.
Pretty, blond, tall, skinny hostess: Oh my gosh. Dinner for one. That sounds so amazing. Let's just see where we can fit you in.
(Proceeds to ask two couples to move over and seats me in the middle.)
Pretty, blond, tall, skinny hostess: There you go. You enjoy yourself.
Waitress: So just one?
Me: MY HUSBAND IS STILL IN NY!! So um, yes, just one. But two glasses of Cab.
Beats the palm trees on my shower curtain.
Your friendly neighborhood Scientology center.
And the Chabad House right next door.
More religion.
I think these are supposed to be weeds.
Okay. There's Los Feliz!

4 comments:

  1. hahaha...i love my neighborhood through your brooklyn-y eyes...don't you forget that you know at least one native los angeleno, we are few and far between but we do exist! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I count you and Mimi and your various family members as the solid dozen from LA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, i really want one some yuca's tacos right about now. and pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you get tired of Figaro Cafe, get in your car and check out this place.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apple_Pan

    ReplyDelete

Followers